Thanks...and then the question:Architecture.

From: Greger Haga <gregerhaga(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)hub(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)hub(dot)org>
Subject: Thanks...and then the question:Architecture.
Date: 2000-10-07 12:18:24
Lists: pgsql-novice

Dear all,
Thanks to all who replied to my "can you see it" posting.

Here's my question:
The question relates to architecture and what I am wondering about is
the picture I am enclosing( Please see attachement ).

The figure enclosed shows a number of clients communicating with a
number server processes which in turn calls libpg ( or was it libpq,
anyway ... ) which then communicates with the database postgresql. What
I am wondering about is the pros and cons of such an architecture, is it
possible to do? and what's good and what's bad with it. I am in the
early planning stage of a billing system for linux. No code is written
yet, and won't be for a long time, until I have straightened a few
things out. My idea is to use TCP/IP ( sockets + XML ) to communicate
between clients and the middle server's processes and the middle
server's processes then communicate with the postgresql database. The
middle server would handle all requests from the client, the client
would be of various types for several different tasks, each task
involving querying the database.

I would very much like to have opinions from anyone with some experience
designing similar systems. I have very little experience of
client-server solutions and none on postgresql so I might be totally out
of line...if so you are more than welcome to push me in the right
direction.

Thanks for reading,
Best Regards,
Greger

--
Greger Haga (gregerhaga(at)yahoo(dot)com)
http://www.geocities.com/siliconvalley/campus/5261

Attachment Content-Type Size
image/jpeg 21.3 KB