Re: Create Primary Key?

From: Jie Liang <jliang(at)ipinc(dot)com>
To: Webb Sprague <wsprague100(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Create Primary Key?
Date: 2000-08-30 01:50:53
Lists: pgsql-sql

Hi,

It suppose to use ALTER TABLE tablename ADD constraint xxx primary
key(columnname),
unforturatly, Pg7.0 still haven't implemented it yet, so except foreign
key ,other constarints,
you have to choose:
1. rename your old table, recreate an new one with primary key, then use

insert into newtable select * from oldtable.
2. use pg_dump -t tablename -f scriptfile dbname
in shell , edit that scriptfile, add primary key there,
drop your table, then reload it again:
psql dbname<scriptfile

--
Jie LIANG