Killing Processes

From: Thomas F(dot)O'Connell <tfo(at)sitening(dot)com>
To: Ken Reid <Ken(at)homegain(dot)com>
Cc: PGSQL Admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Killing Processes
Date: 2005-04-23 15:58:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

It is generally not recommended that you kill processes with anything
stronger than HUP, which is (I believe) what kill sends by default.
Stronger signals will cause all backends to kill themselves because of
paranoia about data corruption.

If the process does not respond to that, then there is no convenient
way to kill it.

You can correlate processes to queries using the pg_stat_activity view.

-tfo

--
Thomas F. O'Connell
Co-Founder, Information Architect