Re: comparing rows

From: Mike Mascari <mascarm(at)mascari(dot)com>
To: The Hermit Hacker <scrappy(at)hub(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: comparing rows
Date: 2000-08-03 19:36:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

The Hermit Hacker wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Aug 2000, Tom Lane wrote:
>
> > Can MS have fixed all their apps already? Seems unlikely. Maybe we
> > have to leave the kluge in there awhile longer.
>
> I kind of agree with your original comment about removing the kludge,
> since the kludge does go against the spec ...
>
> ... a couple of thoughts to that effect:
>
> 1. this won't be 'in effect' until v7.1 comes out anyway
> 2. v7.0.2 will still have the kludge and will be available if ppl *really*
> need it, no?
>
> My vote is to go with Tom on this and remove the kludge ...

Please don't. It seems true that Microsoft has enabled a mode for
SQL Server, but the main problem was Access. And Access 95/97 has
a huge installed base of users that would not be able to use its
automated query tools with PostgreSQL. If the interfaces' list is
any indication, most people use a architecture like:

PostgreSQL Server <--------- Access Front-End

Web Server

I hate kludges. But I'd prefer compatibility with Microsoft
tools.

Just my opinion,

Mike Mascari