Re: mac.c

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: mac.c
Date: 2000-08-02 07:07:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Any comments at all from anyone on my mail from Sunday Nite on
> making the macaddr_manuf function just return a
> masked MACADDR (I.E. set the low 3 bytes to 0x00) and how we
> do this in the code?

So macaddr_manuf() will be changed to return a mac address with the low
bytes set to zero? There is certainly a use for a function like this,
along with another function, say ismanuf() or same() or similar() or ??,
which takes two mac addresses and compares just the manufacturer's
fields. Why not call the "manufacturer's mask" function something like
manuf() or brand() or ?? rather than reusing macaddr_manuf() which would
become obsolete?

> Any comments on the ouiparse.awk script?

The awk script looks OK (and if anyone objected enough they could
rewrite in perl or whatever). Where does one get the IEEE list it uses?

- Thomas