Re: mysql command equivalents?

From: Richard Broersma <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Hassan Schroeder <hassan(dot)schroeder(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: mysql command equivalents?
Date: 2009-10-13 21:37:00
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 2:20 PM, Hassan Schroeder
<hassan(dot)schroeder(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Is there a nice single table somewhere listing MySQL equivalents,
> e.g. "USE database" == ? My google-fu is failing me. (And even the
> docs don't seem to have anything for that particular example.)

I'm not familiar with a cheatsheet myself (but there may be one
somewhere), but I have some information about your current problem.

PostgreSQL doesn't have the functionality to change a connection from
one database to another with a simple command. The client app has to
drop the connection and open a new connection to the other database.

However, you can achieve similar functionality to this by using
multiple schemas in a single database. Then to switch focus from one
schema to another you would use "SET search_path = " <name of schema>.

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug