Re: Extremely Low performance with ODBC

From: "Richard Broersma" <richard(dot)broersma(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Craig Ringer" <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: "Sebastian Rychter" <srychter(at)anvet(dot)com(dot)ar>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Extremely Low performance with ODBC
Date: 2008-05-23 21:33:27
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Craig Ringer
<craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:

> Can it be done? Or is the DB server not capable of generating explain output
> (say to a log) and also returning a resultset?

It can be done ~kind-of~.

To me EXPLAIN [ ANALYSE ] is similar to any other SELECT statement
query, with the exception that the data-set that it returns to the
client is an order list of execution steps.

So, if a client front-end were to pass an explain analyze query to the
server, the server would return the data-set for the execution plan.
The trick here is to find a way to get a client interface to prefix
its select statements with explain analyze. And this, I don't thing
can be done. That's why you have to manually view the server logs to
see what query are being passed so that identify the problem queries
your self.

--
Regards,
Richard Broersma Jr.

Visit the Los Angles PostgreSQL Users Group (LAPUG)
http://pugs.postgresql.org/lapug