Command statistics system (cmdstats)

From: Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Smith, Peter" <peters(at)fast(dot)au(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Haribabu Kommi <kommi(dot)haribabu(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, vinayak <Pokale_Vinayak_q3(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Command statistics system (cmdstats)
Date: 2020-03-05 03:43:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hackers,

as mentioned in [1], I have created an implementation of command counter statistics very similar in purpose to the one already pending in the commitfest going by the name "pg_stat_sql". I don't really care if this implementation is seen as building on that one or as separate, but I was worried about hijacking that thread, so I'm starting this thead. There are elements of this patch that borrowed from that one, so if this is accepted, authorship should reflect that.

See the work by Haribabu Kommi (haribabu) at https://commitfest.postgresql.org/27/790/

The two main differences are that

(1) This implementation is based on commandtags as enums, not strings and
(2) This implementation uses techniques to reduce lock contention

I think (2) is the more important part.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/28F46159-3764-421B-904B-004DEA339310%40enterprisedb.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
v1-0001-Implementing-the-cmdstats-subsystem.patch application/octet-stream 67.0 KB