Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC connection refused

From: John Collins <jcollins(at)cs(dot)umn(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Joe Shevland <shevlandj(at)kpi(dot)com(dot)au>, Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] JDBC connection refused
Date: 2000-03-04 02:11:08
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I tried your suggestion, and I can connect to localhost at port 5432 as you
show below, and I can log in to the other machine and telnet to birch, port
5432, over the network. In both cases it connects, and then disconnects as
soon as I type something and send it; I don't get an error message as you show
below, just the Connection closed by foreign host message. So, I tried my
simple jdbc example, and I'm still getting the Connection refused error. Just
for grins, I went back to birch and tried running the same code, in which the
URL looks like "jdbc:postgresql://birch/coffeebreak". That works, even with
the hostname rather than "localhost".

I can't imagine there's anything out of the ordinary with these two machines.
They're both vanilla RedHat systems, plugged into the same ethernet hub, static
addresses, etc.

It seemed like a good idea. Thanks. I'm still stumped.

John Collins
University of Minnesota