selectecting not null varchars.

From: Joseph Shraibman <jks(at)p1(dot)selectacast(dot)net>
To: "pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: selectecting not null varchars.
Date: 2000-02-24 19:46:54
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

I have a table with some text strings and I want to select row where the
text fields have a value in them.

I tried :
select * from directory where length(h) > 0 ;
and got:
ERROR: Null input to textlen

So I tried:
select * from directory where h != null AND length(h) > 0 ;
and got:
ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "and"

In fact this:
select * from directory where h != null ;
... gets you this:
ERROR: parser: parse error at or near ";"

Trying to select where it is equal to null works. Trying to select
where an int is not equal to a certain value works. But I cannot select
where a varchar (or int) is not equal to null.