ESQL/C Docs: Request for code

From: Martin Jackson <mhjacks(at)nwa(dot)quik(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ESQL/C Docs: Request for code
Date: 1999-12-11 20:25:10
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello all,

I am looking for examples of working ECPG code. Partly I would like to
see for myself how it works, but I would also be willing to write some
documentation on it, which I would be willing to submit to the CVS tree.

I do not understand, for example, how to handle cursors in ECPG because
I have not found any examples of doing so in the documentation I have.
Others have probably had the same problem.

I am familiar with the Informix ESQL/C implementation, if that matters.

Would anyone be willing to email me some working code, along with the
appropriate table definitions? It need not be too elaborate, but I
would like to know the following\ things:

1) How do you set up a fetch operation? Is there a nicer way to do it
in EC without a cursor? That is,

DECLARE foo CURSOR FOR
SELECT * FROM bar
WHERE baz = :bazval

{time passes}

FETCH foo INTO :bletch, :foo2;

2) Can you PREPARE (i.e. cache) statements for later execution?
EXEC SQL DELETE FROM foo
WHERE baz = ?

3) Does Postgres directly support placeholders (?)? I've used them in
DBI, but I don't know whether that's some hack by the Postgres driver
author or if it's an actual Postgres feature?

4) What kind of scope do declared cursors have?

5) (META-QUESTION): Is ECPG suitable for a large system, i.e. an
accounting system for a small business?

--
Martin Jackson: mhjacks(at)nwa(dot)quik(dot)com