Re: FW: [ppa-dev] Severe bug in debian - phppgadmin opens

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lincoln Yeoh <lyeoh(at)pop(dot)jaring(dot)my>, Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FW: [ppa-dev] Severe bug in debian - phppgadmin opens
Date: 2001-11-28 19:55:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The idea of allowing the password to be stored in a file with 600
> permissions seems quite standard. CVS does this.

Seems it would be nice if psql could accept a switch along the lines of
--password-is-in-file filename
and go off to read the password from the named file (which we hope is
secured correctly).

Or take it a little further: what about defining a PGPASSWORDFILE
environment variable that libpq would consult, before or instead of
PGPASSWORD? That would give us the same feature for free across all
libpq-using apps, not only psql. Exposing a file name in the
environment is not a security risk, I hope.