Re: ERROR: could not read block

From: Joshua Marsh <icub3d(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: could not read block
Date: 2005-11-15 16:42:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 11/15/05, Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:

> Could my issue be the same problem as this thread?:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-bugs/2005-11/msg00114.php
>
> The references to "Invalid Argument" caught my eye. That thread
> did start from a very different point, though.
>
> -Kevin

It's possible. You said that the log file wasn't working, and you can
reproduce the error, so the first thing I would do is solve the logging
problem, then reproduce the error and see what the log says.

I'm not familiar with pgsql on windows, but check to make sure you have
logging turned on in the postgresql.conf file (this is on by default). Make
sure you are logging to a file and directory that the pgsql service has
permissions to write to.

Does the windows system log give you any errors or warnings when pgsql
starts? Perhaps it will describe why it's not logging.

-Josh