Re: SyncRepLock acquired exclusively in default configuration

From: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
To: Ashwin Agrawal <aagrawal(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <masahiko(dot)sawada(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Xin Zhang <xzhang(at)pivotal(dot)io>, Asim Praveen <apraveen(at)pivotal(dot)io>
Subject: Re: SyncRepLock acquired exclusively in default configuration
Date: 2020-04-10 04:20:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020/04/08 3:01, Ashwin Agrawal wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 6, 2020 at 2:14 PM Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de <mailto:andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>> wrote:
>
> > How about we change it to this ?
>
> Hm. Better. But I think it might need at least a compiler barrier /
> volatile memory load?  Unlikely here, but otherwise the compiler could
> theoretically just stash the variable somewhere locally (it's not likely
> to be a problem because it'd not be long ago that we acquired an lwlock,
> which is a full barrier).
>

> That's the part, I am not fully sure about. But reading the comment above SyncRepUpdateSyncStandbysDefined(), it seems fine.
>
> > Bring back the check which existed based on GUC but instead of just blindly
> > returning based on just GUC not being set, check
> > WalSndCtl->sync_standbys_defined. Thoughts?
>
> Hm. Is there any reason not to just check
> WalSndCtl->sync_standbys_defined? rather than both !SyncStandbysDefined()
> and WalSndCtl->sync_standbys_defined?
>

> Agree, just checking for WalSndCtl->sync_standbys_defined seems fine.

So the consensus is something like the following? Patch attached.

/*
- * Fast exit if user has not requested sync replication.
+ * Fast exit if user has not requested sync replication, or there are no
+ * sync replication standby names defined.
*/
- if (!SyncRepRequested())
+ if (!SyncRepRequested() ||
+ !((volatile WalSndCtlData *) WalSndCtl)->sync_standbys_defined)
return;

Regards,

--
Fujii Masao