Re: Porting from MS SQL Server to PostGres

From: Rosser Schwarz <rosser(dot)schwarz(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Goulet, Dick" <dgoulet(at)vicr(dot)com>
Cc: pwbyrne(at)hotmail(dot)com, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Porting from MS SQL Server to PostGres
Date: 2004-09-24 20:57:46
Lists: pgsql-admin

while you weren't looking, Goulet, Dick wrote:

> I'd precreate all of the tables/indexes and then move the data...

If you have a lot of data, it's probably better to punt on creating
the indices until after you've moved the data. Bulk populating
indexed tables, particularly if the table has more than just the
primary key index, can be awfully slow. At one point, we tried
dumping several million tuples into a table with a dozen-odd indices.
Only did that once.

/rls

--
:wq