Re: [INTERFACES] psqlODBC/MS Access "Out of memory error (#1)"

From: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)solipsys(dot)com>
To: "G(dot) Anthony Reina" <reina(at)nsi(dot)edu>, interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] psqlODBC/MS Access "Out of memory error (#1)"
Date: 1999-08-24 19:41:50
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Byron Nikolaidis wrote:

> "G. Anthony Reina" wrote:
>
> > I just figured out how to get my ODBC connection running between the
> > Postgres 6.5.1 database on my RH Linux 6.0 box and my Windows 95 box. I
> > am using Microsoft Access 97 on the Windows 95 box. I have been able to
> > import some of the smaller tables using "Import from External Data
> > Source" and then specifying the postODBC driver. It seems that some of
> > my larger tables can't be loaded in because of the error:
> >
> > Error while executing the query:
> > Out of memory while reading tuples (#1).
> >
> > The error seems pretty self-explanatory. However, does it mean that I
> > (a) don't have enough system RAM to hold the table, (b) need more hard
> > disk space to hold the file, or (c) none of the above?
> >

> Try turning off the declare/fetch driver option. With this option on, the
> driver is trying to store every single tuple in memory. With the option
> off, it will only store 100 by default, or the number you enter for the
> cache size. Since the import is accessing the tuples in a forward-only
> fashion, there is no need to use the declare/fetch.
>
> Byron

Oops, geez, what I meant to say was, turn *ON* the declare/fetch option!!!!
With it *OFF*, the driver is trying to store every single tuple in memory.
With the option *ON", the driver will only store 100 tuples by default, or the
number you enter for the cache size. Since the import is accessing the tuples
in a forward-only fashion, there is no need for random-access to tuples (so
the declare/fetch *should* be used).

Sorry for any confusion. I think my mind is still on vacation.

Byron