Re: resolving locking conflicts

From: Robin Whitworth <rwhit(at)goldwiretech(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: resolving locking conflicts
Date: 1999-07-15 13:33:32
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

An alternative strategy is to use logical locks, rather than
physical locks. To do this, add a column to your table to
indicate whether or not a given record is locked. You might, for
example, leave the column NULL when the record is not locked, and
set it to the id of the locking user when it is locked.

Then, to lock a record do something like:

BEGIN;
SELECT locked, ... FROM table WHERE ...;
if (locked is not NULL)
{
Error("row locked by user %s\n", locked)
}
else
{
UPDATE table SET locked = <current_user_id>;
}
COMMIT;

You can expand on this by adding a timestamp to indicate when
the lock was created and allow it to be broken if held "too long".
-rwhit