Re: [GENERAL] entity relationship diagram free software

From: "Ross J(dot) Reedstrom" <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
To: officers(at)aries(dot)tucson(dot)saic(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] entity relationship diagram free software
Date: 1999-04-22 19:16:02
Lists: pgsql-general

Sarah Officer wrote:

> I am looking for a freeware tool to document my postgres database
> tables, indices, etc.
> A friend of mine uses ERwin, but this is a licensed package his company
> had to buy. I
> Are there any free software tools that people use to create entity
> relationship diagrams
> and to document databases?

Well, this is as good a chance as any to mention that I've been hacking
on pgaccess to add these features. It's at a very early stage, though:
basically, all I've done is clone the 'save visual query design' feature
I added in 0.96, with a tab to the main interface window, labelled
'schema'. I've gotten sidetracked from adding more features by other
work (the lines connecting tables with color coded field types was
enough for this project). The method for storing relationship
information in the db is non-optimum, and the window really needs to be
resizeable. Printing is only possible by either grabbing a screen shot,
or connecting to the running app. with a tcl console and convincing the
canvas to generate a Postscript file for you.

Well, this is no longer true - I just now went ahead and made a 'print'
button that generates the postscript file for you. you still need some
way to print postscript, though.

If anyone wants a peek at my (buggy) version, send me a note, and I'll
fire a copy at you. A screen shot is available at
http://wallace.ece.rice.edu/schema.html

--
Ross J. Reedstrom, Ph.D., <reedstrm(at)rice(dot)edu>
NSBRI Research Scientist/Programmer