Re: grant execute on many functions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joe Conway <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>
Cc: Jean-Denis Giguere <jdenisgiguere(at)fastmail(dot)fm>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: grant execute on many functions
Date: 2004-06-30 04:26:17
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-hackers

> That's even better -- I tried regproc, but forgot about regprocedure. I
> think the problem will be, though, that the output of the reg* datatypes
> is not castable to text, and therefore cannot be used to build a dynamic
> sql statement.

Um. Sooner or later we ought to do something about the whole
automatic-casting-to-and-from-text issue. Datatypes shouldn't have to
supply both I/O procedures and text cast procedures.

> But with the help of plpgsql:

Right, in the short term you can make it work inside a plpgsql function,
since plpgsql is pretty darn lax about casting. But it'd be nice if it
worked more generally.