Re: speed up a logical replica setup

From: "Euler Taveira" <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
To: "kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <kuroda(dot)hayato(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Fabrízio de Royes Mello <fabriziomello(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "vignesh C" <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Michael Paquier" <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, "Peter Eisentraut" <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, "Andres Freund" <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, "Ashutosh Bapat" <ashutosh(dot)bapat(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Amit Kapila" <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Shlok Kyal" <shlok(dot)kyal(dot)oss(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: speed up a logical replica setup
Date: 2024-02-07 04:53:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, Feb 2, 2024, at 6:41 AM, Hayato Kuroda (Fujitsu) wrote:
> Thanks for updating the patch!

Thanks for taking a look.

> I'm still working on the data structures to group options. I don't like the way
> it was grouped in v13-0005. There is too many levels to reach database name.
> The setup_subscriber() function requires the 3 data structures.
> >

> Right, your refactoring looks fewer stack. So I pause to revise my refactoring
> patch.

I didn't complete this task yet so I didn't include it in this patch.

> The documentation update is almost there. I will include the modifications in
> the next patch.
> >

> OK. I think it should be modified before native speakers will attend to the
> thread.

Same for this one.

> Regarding v13-0004, it seems a good UI that's why I wrote a comment about it.
> However, it comes with a restriction that requires a similar HBA rule for both
> regular and replication connections. Is it an acceptable restriction? We might
> paint ourselves into the corner. A reasonable proposal is not to remove this
> option. Instead, it should be optional. If it is not provided, primary_conninfo
> is used.
> >

> I didn't have such a point of view. However, it is not related whether -P exists
> or not. Even v14-0001 requires primary to accept both normal/replication connections.
> If we want to avoid it, the connection from pg_createsubscriber can be restored
> to replication-connection.
> (I felt we do not have to use replication protocol even if we change the connection mode)

That's correct. We made a decision to use non physical replication connections
(besides the one used to connect primary <-> standby). Hence, my concern about
a HBA rule falls apart. I'm not convinced that using a modified
primary_conninfo is the only/right answer to fill the subscription connection
string. Physical vs logical replication has different requirements when we talk
about users. The physical replication requires only the REPLICATION privilege.
On the other hand, to create a subscription you must have the privileges of
pg_create_subscription role and also CREATE privilege on the specified
database. Unless, you are always recommending the superuser for this tool, I'm
afraid there will be cases that reusing primary_conninfo will be an issue. The
more I think about this UI, the more I think that, if it is not hundreds of
lines of code, it uses the primary_conninfo the -P is not specified.

> The motivation why -P is not needed is to ensure the consistency of nodes.
> pg_createsubscriber assumes that the -P option can connect to the upstream node,
> but no one checks it. Parsing two connection strings may be a solution but be
> confusing. E.g., what if some options are different?
> I think using a same parameter is a simplest solution.

Ugh. An error will occur the first time (get_primary_sysid) it tries to connect
to primary.

> I found that no one refers the name of temporary slot. Can we remove the variable?

It is gone. I did a refactor in the create_logical_replication_slot function.
Slot name is assigned internally (no need for slot_name or temp_replslot) and
temporary parameter is included.

> Initialization by `CreateSubscriberOptions opt = {0};` seems enough.
> All values are set to 0x0.

It is. However, I keep the assignments for 2 reasons: (a) there might be
parameters whose default value is not zero, (b) the standard does not say that
a null pointer must be represented by zero and (c) there is no harm in being
paranoid during initial assignment.

> You said "target server must be a standby" in [1], but I cannot find checks for it.
> IIUC, there are two approaches:
> a) check the existence "standby.signal" in the data directory
> b) call an SQL function "pg_is_in_recovery"

I applied v16-0004 that implements option (b).

> I still think they can be combined as "bindir".

I applied a patch that has a single variable for BINDIR.

> WriteRecoveryConfig() writes GUC parameters to postgresql.auto.conf, but not
> sure it is good. These settings would remain on new subscriber even after the
> pg_createsubscriber. Can we avoid it? I come up with passing these parameters
> via pg_ctl -o option, but it requires parsing output from GenerateRecoveryConfig()
> (all GUCs must be allign like "-c XXX -c XXX -c XXX...").

I applied a modified version of v16-0006.

> Functions arguments should not be struct because they are passing by value.
> They should be a pointer. Or, for modify_subscriber_sysid and wait_for_end_recovery,
> we can pass a value which would be really used.

Done.

> 07.
> ```
> static char *get_base_conninfo(char *conninfo, char *dbname,
> const char *noderole);
> ```
>
> Not sure noderole should be passed here. It is used only for the logging.
> Can we output string before calling the function?
> (The parameter is not needed anymore if -P is removed)

Done.

> 08.
> The terminology is still not consistent. Some functions call the target as standby,
> but others call it as subscriber.

The terminology should reflect the actual server role. I'm calling it "standby"
if it is a physical replica and "subscriber" if it is a logical replica. Maybe
"standby" isn't clear enough.

> 09.
> v14 does not work if the standby server has already been set recovery_target*
> options. PSA the reproducer. I considered two approaches:
>
> a) raise an ERROR when these parameter were set. check_subscriber() can do it
> b) overwrite these GUCs as empty strings.

I prefer (b) that's exactly what you provided in v16-0006.

> 10.
> The execution always fails if users execute --dry-run just before. Because
> pg_createsubscriber stops the standby anyway. Doing dry run first is quite normal
> use-case, so current implementation seems not user-friendly. How should we fix?
> Below bullets are my idea:
>
> a) avoid stopping the standby in case of dry_run: seems possible.
> b) accept even if the standby is stopped: seems possible.
> c) start the standby at the end of run: how arguments like pg_ctl -l should be specified?

I prefer (a). I applied a slightly modified version of v16-0005.

This new patch contains the following changes:

* check whether the target is really a standby server (0004)
* refactor: pg_create_logical_replication_slot function
* use a single variable for pg_ctl and pg_resetwal directory
* avoid recovery errors applying default settings for some GUCs (0006)
* don't stop/start the standby in dry run mode (0005)
* miscellaneous fixes

I don't understand why v16-0002 is required. In a previous version, this patch
was using connections in logical replication mode. After some discussion we
decided to change it to regular connections and use SQL functions (instead of
replication commands). Is it a requirement for v16-0003?

I started reviewing v16-0007 but didn't finish yet. The general idea is ok.
However, I'm still worried about preventing some use cases if it provides only
the local connection option. What if you want to keep monitoring this instance
while the transformation is happening? Let's say it has a backlog that will
take some time to apply. Unless, you have a local agent, you have no data about
this server until pg_createsubscriber terminates. Even the local agent might
not connect to the server unless you use the current port.

--
Euler Taveira
EDB https://www.enterprisedb.com/

Attachment Content-Type Size
v17-0001-Creates-a-new-logical-replica-from-a-standby-ser.patch text/x-patch 78.0 KB