Re: Bug #613: Sequence values fall back to previously chec

From: "Mikheev, Vadim" <vmikheev(at)SECTORBASE(dot)COM>
To: 'Ben Grimm' <bgrimm(at)zaeon(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Pfau <T(dot)Pfau(at)emCrit(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug #613: Sequence values fall back to previously chec
Date: 2002-03-15 00:17:39
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

> > This isn't an issue for a SELECT nextval() standing on
> > its own AFAIK the result will not be transmitted to the
> > client until after the commit happens. But it would be
> > an issue for a select executed inside a transaction
> > block (begin/commit).
>
> The behavior of SELECT nextval() should not be conditional
> on being in or out of a transaction block.

And it's not. But behaviour of application *must* be
conditional on was transaction committed or not.

What's the problem for application that need nextval() for
external (out-of-database) purposes to use sequence values
only after transaction commit? What's *wrong* for such application
to behave the same way as when dealing with other database objects
which are under transaction control (eg only after commit you can
report to user that $100 was successfully added to his/her account)?

---

I agree that if nextval-s were only "write" actions in transaction
and they made some XLogInsert-s then WAL must be flushed at commit
time. But that's it. Was this fixed? Very easy.

Vadim