Re: Rollback in Postgres

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Kaare Rasmussen" <kaare(at)jasonic(dot)dk>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Rollback in Postgres
Date: 2008-07-15 13:59:22
Lists: pgsql-sql

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 2:17 AM, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> wrote:
> I agree such improvements would be welcomed. I'm pretty sure they sat
> around saying we can already do that some other way at first, until the
> requests started to pile up.

Agreed.

>> > Stuff that they see fit to add is not necessarily going to be on our radar
>> > screen in the foreseeable future.
>
> I'm not clear on why there should be an inherent delay. I think
> PostgreSQL adoption is mostly held back by operational features, like
> performance management, locking, backup.

I agree. From what I've seen, the lack of good incremental backup is
still a major problem regarding adoption of large-scale systems.
Similarly, upgrade-in-place makes using PG fairly prohibitive in
several cases, though I'm glad Zdenek et al. are working on that. I
still hear lots of questions regarding, "how do I tell what PG is
doing right now?", which is why we (EnterpriseDB) developed RITA (the
Runtime Instrumentation and Tracing Architecture). DTrace is great,
but it's not cross-platform, can't be queried from within the
database, and until now, didn't really give you enough information to
diagnose many user-related problems.

> But we're mainly constrained on people's time, i.e. money. And AFAICS
> nothing like this is going to happen in this release.

Agreed.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation | fax: 732.331.1301