Re: cost per transaction

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Federico <rotellaro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: cost per transaction
Date: 2007-04-20 13:31:21
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 4/20/07, Federico <rotellaro(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm writing the slides for the road2pgday and I'm wondering if there's
> some test about the cost per transaction that have PostgreSQL on OLTP.

AFAIK, there aren't any audited public benchmarks for PostgreSQL. So,
you're not going to find a TPC-C or TPC-E for PostgreSQL yet. There
may have been one of the SPEC benchmarks that used PostgreSQL, but
that wouldn't have been direct OLTP.

Being free, PostgreSQL's cost-per-transaction would be fairly low.
Basically, if you purchase maintenance, support, installation, or
tuning services from a PostgreSQL support organization or consultant,
then you're cost/transaction is really based on that fee and the
number of your applications transactions run over the lifetime of the
support contract.

Unlike other database vendors, there's no cost/transaction for free PostgreSQL.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation | fax: 732.331.1301