Re: COMMIT NOWAIT Performance Option

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Josh Berkus" <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: COMMIT NOWAIT Performance Option
Date: 2007-02-27 19:36:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2/27/07, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:
> It seriously narrows down the problem space to know that PostgreSQL does *not*
> allow data loss if it's physically possible to prevent it.

Seems like we're trying to protect users from themselves again. This
is not a PostgreSQL database issue; it's a feature designed for
application developers and cases where there is the possibility of
acceptable data loss for certain types of operations or transactions.
We already have the capacity for loss when fsync is disabled; this is
just a more controlled feature.

Under Oracle, NOWAIT is an asynchronous commit... anyone that uses it
should understand that it's still not on-disk and that they can lose
it in the event of a failure. That's what Oracle's docs even say.
It's just a risk vs. reward trade off.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation | fax: 732.331.1301