Two usability suggestions

From: "Robins Tharakan" <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Two usability suggestions
Date: 2008-08-29 00:40:23
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi All,

I have been using PgAdmin for a while now and feel that the following two
have been the most troubling issues with PgAdmin (when compared with
something like MSAccess).

1. Limiting the default row-count in EditGrid to a given X: It doesn't
really matter that the number be 100 or 1000, but inevitably I've seen
people in office having to 'End Task' PgAdmin just because they clicked on
the Grid-icon for a 4 million row table. Frankly, its happened quite a few
times to me as well, and although it is avoidable, practically speaking,
until we get a cursor based 'Page Down' support in EditGrid, I really wish
if we could have a row-limiting support by default (which is changeable from
the drop-down). Probably have this limit changeable in frmOption as well ?

2. PgAdmin becomes irresponsive waiting for a simple query to succeed: Its
happened many a times that I have a large dump taking place (for e.g.
Refresh of a large-Materialized-View running, which essentially is a DELETE
FROM TABLE, along with a large query that regenerates the
hundred-thousand-row table). Alongside this (in the main PgAdmin window) if
I simply click on any other table/view/function, PgAdmin just gets stuck
pulling this table's (or view's/or function's) structure from the database.
Now frankly, many a times I don't really care as much for this item's
structure as much as I wish that PgAdmin doesn't get stuck until that large
query finishes in the parallel window. Moral: Whatever is running in the
background, PgAdmin should at least be responsive to user commands.

Both of these have happened to me so many times, that you could say that I
write this email out of sheer frustration, but I hope it would be taken in
good intent. Also, I am unsure as to whether I would be able to take out
time to work on this myself, but I thought I should get some feedback from
the community beforehand.

Thanks, and feedbacks eagerly awaited.
*Robins Tharakan*

p.s.: Although I occasionally do some PgAdmin development in Ubuntu, my
production work mostly happens in Windows, so I don't know if both the
issues (mentioned above) are commonly present across platforms.