Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC authentication failure

From: Byron Nikolaidis <byronn(at)insightdist(dot)com>
To: "Ken J(dot) Wright" <ken(at)ori-ind(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] ODBC authentication failure
Date: 1999-02-19 16:12:43
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Ken J. Wright wrote:

> Hello Byron,
>
> Attached is the tracelog from an attempted ODBC connect.
> This occurs whenever authentication fails during an attempt to connect
> (using ODBCExpress). I believe I should get a connection dialog, but it
> fails instead. I have tried different hdbc prompt settings & also different
> pg_hba.conf settings, but basically the same thing happens whenever
> authentication fails for any reason. The trace indicates that this is
> another ODBC2.0 vs. ODBC3.0 issue. Would you agree? And more importantly,
> how do I, you, we fix it? I can certainly (and do currently) just trap the
> error and deal with it through my own dialog box, but I was hoping to also
> be able to rely on the fallback of the driver handling the prompting.
> Comments?

Looking at the log, I see what you mean about the odbc behavior stuff. But,
when a connect attempt fails, if its because the connection could not be
physically made OR the authentication is wrong, the driver will return an error
from SQLDriverConnect. So it seems to working as designed, even with the
warning message in the log.

The only time the driver will prompt the user is if a password is required to
connect, and one was not provided.

In order to do what you say, I would need to examine the error message that
comes back. If its an authentication related problem, then prompt the user
with a dialog box.

Byron