Re: Stack overflow issue

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Егор Чиндяскин <kyzevan23(at)mail(dot)ru>, Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, mahendrakar s <mahendrakarforpg(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Stack overflow issue
Date: 2022-08-30 15:02:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
>> I think most likely we should report this to Snowball upstream
>> and see what they think is an appropriate fix.

> Done at [1], and I pushed the other fixes. Thanks again for the report!

The upstream recommendation, which seems pretty sane to me, is to
simply reject any string exceeding some threshold length as not
possibly being a word. Apparently it's common to use thresholds
as small as 64 bytes, but in the attached I used 1000 bytes.

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
limit-length-of-strings-passed-to-snowball.patch text/x-diff 1.2 KB