ODBC client for Postgres

From: Johan Kjellander <johan(at)microform(dot)se>
To: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: ODBC client for Postgres
Date: 1998-10-15 07:58:30
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi,

My name is Johan Kjellander and I'm responsible
for the development of the VARKON system, a CAD
tool and programming language that we distribute
in a free binary version for Linux. URL below.

Our latest development efforts include the possibility
for applications developed in VARKON to access data in
external databases through ODBC. Currently we have only
implemented this in the Windows95/NT version of VARKON
using Microsofts ODBC client API.

A few days ago I posted a question to our mailinglist
asking if any Linux users would appreciate the same
functionality and the answer was overwhelming. Many
users would like to be able to acces external data
using ODBC. Many also mentioned Postgres as an interesting
database server since it's free.

Now to my question. Is there a free ODBC client C-API
available that we could use and redistribute together
with VARKON (GPL/LGPL).

Also, as I understand it there are free ODBC managers and
also drivers for Postgres. Is this right.

I'm not a database expert and would appreciate very much
to get som help in sorting this out. The ulimate result
could be a next version of VARKON that could be used to
develop very powerful integrated CAD-DATABASE applications
also on the Linux platform.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,
--