patching utilities?

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Postgres Hackers List <hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: patching utilities?
Date: 1998-10-02 15:40:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Is it too late to consider distributing a patching mechanism with the
upcoming release?

Probably everyone has some sort of utility for doing this; I've got
GenPatches and ApplyPatches which traverse the source tree looking for
".orig" files and running diff on any it finds, saving the results to
.patch files. If we packaged these routines (perhaps slightly modified
to encapsulate any patches into a specific area; or we could use someone
else's routines) into a new directory

$(POSTGRESDIR)/patch

then we could generate standard patch tarballs which people could put
into that directory and then automatically expand and apply.

Does anyone want to work on it?

- Tom