Re: BUG #18077: PostgreSQL server subprocess crashed by a SELECT statement with WITH clause

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: fuboat(at)outlook(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18077: PostgreSQL server subprocess crashed by a SELECT statement with WITH clause
Date: 2023-09-15 18:38:50
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Here is v3 patch which is v2 + fix for this issue.

This seems not quite right yet: we need to pass the correct
parent-namespaces list to set_deparse_for_query, else set_rtable_names
might make unexpected choices. I think the net effect of what you
have would only be to make generated table-alias names more unique
than necessary (i.e, avoiding collisions with names that are not
really in scope), but still this could be confusingly inconsistent.
So we should do more like the attached.

I set about back-patching this, and discovered that your deparse
test case exposes additional problems in the back branches. We
get "record type has not been registered" failures in deparsing,
or even in trying to parse the view to begin with, unless we
back-patch d57534740 into pre-v14 branches and also 8b7a0f1d1
into pre-v13 branches. At the time I'd thought d57534740's bug
could not be exposed without SEARCH BREADTH FIRST, but that was
clearly a failure of imagination. As for 8b7a0f1d1, I'd judged
it too narrow of a corner case to be worth back-patching, and
maybe it still is: I don't think it's reachable without attempting
to fetch a ".fN" field out of an anonymous record type. Still,
we do document that ".fN" is what the generated names are, so
it seems like people ought to be able to use them. On balance,
therefore, I'm inclined to back-patch both of those.

Thoughts?

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
v4-0001-Fix-expanding-Var-of-type-RECORD.patch text/x-diff 8.9 KB