Re: [NOVICE] Problems with queries on small/medium sized tables

From: David Hartwig <daybee(at)bellatlantic(dot)net>
To: Greg Youngblood <YoungblG(at)houstoncellular(dot)com>
Cc: "'PostgreSQL Novice List'" <pgsql-novice(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>, "'PostgreSQL Interfaces List'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] Problems with queries on small/medium sized tables
Date: 1998-09-15 21:08:55
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

The FAQ covers this in some detail. See:
http://www.insightdist.com/psqlodbc/psqlodbc_faq.html#canon

Actually as I read the FAQ today I realize how little we knew at the time of
its writing. This is actually a manifestation of the MS Jet Engine which
breaks queries into key sets. The Jet is used in many MS products and data
widgets. I servrves the useful purpose of allowing large data sets to be
browsed without having to consume the entire queries or tables.

The actual failure is in the server. The 6.4 version of the server resolves
this problem quite effectively. It is in beta now and will be released in mid
Oct.

In the short term you can disable the Jet for any query in the query
properties. To browse a multi-part key table you will have to turn off auto
detection of the key in on of several ways. I will address this later if you
need. Time grows short tonight.