Re: [HACKERS] Convert PGconn, PGresult to opaque types?

From: Goran Thyni <goran(at)bildbasen(dot)se>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgreSQL(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Convert PGconn, PGresult to opaque types?
Date: 1998-08-24 12:50:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-interfaces

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> > Basically this would force applications to use the accessor functions
> > as recommended in the documentation, and not touch fields of a PGconn
> > object directly. (Ditto for PGresult.)
>
> I am scared about external stuff like php. If they use it, and we
> release something that doesn't work with their stuff, we are cooked
> until they upgrade.
>
> Not really sure what the advantage would be, aside from cleanliness.

The cleaness allows us to change the interals without breaking "external
stuff".
I think Tom is aiming for thread-safeness which can't be done as long as
external stuff insists on accessing global structs inside libpq.
Sometimes we have to break thing to make them work better.

regards,
Göran Thyni, sysadm, JMS Bildbasen, Kiruna