Re: Recent updates

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumnus(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recent updates
Date: 1998-07-14 13:38:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The problem appears to be in the sorting of nulls, which is used by
> UNION ALL:
> test=> select null order by 1;
> ERROR: type id lookup of 0 failed

Hmm. And I've got trouble with the following when I assigned the type
"UNKNOWNOID" to the null fields:

postgres=> select null union select null;
ERROR: Unable to find an ordering operator '<' for type unknown.
Use an explicit ordering operator or modify the query.

With "UNION ALL" it works, since no sorting needs to happen:

postgres=> select null union all select null;
?column?
--------

(2 rows)

An additional problem is that the UNION parsing is done recursively, so
the routine which does the type matching does not see a list of all the
clauses all at once.

Any ideas?

- Tom