Re: [HACKERS] Re: [BUGS] Small bug in union

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Re: [BUGS] Small bug in union
Date: 1998-07-08 01:39:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> BTW, if you somehow are not familiar with the history of the term
> "hacker", you might care to visit the Jargon File
> (try http://sagan.earthspace.net/jargon/), and/or Eric Raymond's
> page about hacker history and culture
> (http://tuxedo.org/~esr/faqs/index.html).

Actually, for some reason we used to use the term (circa mid '70s) to
refer to an unaccomplished, undisciplined coder. Sort of like a bad
golfer is called a hacker (you know, hacking and slashing at the ball).
I haven't found the usage in anything recent though, and the folks who
answered my mail at jargon hadn't heard of that usage either (boy, I
must have way too much time on my hands...). Still have trouble applying
the term to coders with skill :)

- Tom