Re: Application compile file using Embeded SQL in

From: "Paul Breen" <pbreen(at)computerpark(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: "Kevin Cowley" <kevin(dot)cowley(at)alchemetrics(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: "'pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Application compile file using Embeded SQL in
Date: 2004-04-27 15:37:29
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hello Kevin,

Are you sure that target & user are declared as string pointers (char *)?

The only way I could get similar errors to those you describe was by
declaring target & user as simple char variables in ECPG's declare
section.

I'm using gcc 3.3, Postgres 7.3.2 on SuSE 8.2.

Regards - Paul

> I'm trying to build an embedded SQL app in Postgres 4.7.2 and failing at
> the
> first hurdle - Postgres itself compiles, starts, executes with no
> problems.
>
> We're using gcc 3.2.2 on SLES 8
>
> The problem I'm getting is that ecpg doesn't appear to able to generate
> compilable code for something as simple as
>
> EXEC SQL CONNECT TO :target USER :user;
>
> /sandbox/cowleyke/src/SQL_Benchmarks/tst_postgres.pgc: In function
> `Connect':
> /sandbox/cowleyke/src/SQL_Benchmarks/tst_postgres.pgc:378: warning:
> passing
> arg 2 of `ECPGconnect' makes integer from pointer without a cast
> /sandbox/cowleyke/src/SQL_Benchmarks/tst_postgres.pgc:378: too few
> arguments
> to function `ECPGconnect'
>
> This is not the only place this type of error occurs. Elsewhere I have
>
> EXCE SQL IMMEDIATE :stmt;
>
> Which gives
>
> /sandbox/cowleyke/src/SQL_Benchmarks/tst_postgres.pgc: In function
> `ExecuteQuery':
> /sandbox/cowleyke/src/SQL_Benchmarks/tst_postgres.pgc:447: warning:
> passing
> arg 2 of `ECPGdo' makes integer from pointer without a cast
> /sandbox/cowleyke/src/SQL_Benchmarks/tst_postgres.pgc:447: warning:
> passing
> arg 3 of `ECPGdo' makes integer from pointer without a cast
> /sandbox/cowleyke/src/SQL_Benchmarks/tst_postgres.pgc:447: warning:
> passing
> arg 4 of `ECPGdo' makes pointer from integer without a cast
>
> Kevin Cowley
> R&D
>
> Tel: 0118 902 9099 (direct line)
> Email: kevin(dot)cowley(at)alchemetrics(dot)co(dot)uk
> Web: http://www.alchemetrics.co.uk

> ALCHEMETRICS LIMITED (ALCHEMETRICS)
> Mulberry Park, Fishponds Road, Wokingham, Berkshire, RG41 2GX
> Tel: +44 (0) 118 902 9000 Fax: +44 (0) 118 902 9001
> This e-mail is confidential and is intended for the use of the addressee
> only.
> If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you
> must
> not use, copy, disclose, otherwise disseminate or take any action based on
> this e-mail or any information herein.
> If you receive this transmission in error, please notify the sender
> immediately by reply e-mail or by using the contact details above and then
> delete this e-mail.
> Please note that e-mail may be susceptible to data corruption,
> interception
> and unauthorised amendment. Alchemetrics does not accept any liability
> for
> any such corruption, interception, amendment or the consequences thereof.

Paul M. Breen, Software Engineer - Computer Park Ltd.

Tel: (01536) 417155
Email: pbreen(at)computerpark(dot)co(dot)uk

This private and confidential e-mail has been sent to you
by Computer Park Ltd.

If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail and
have received it in error, please notify us via the email
address or telephone number below, and then delete it from
your mailbox.

Email: mailbox(at)computerpark(dot)co(dot)uk

Tel: +44 (0) 1536 417155
Fax: +44 (0) 1536 417566

Head Office:
Computer Park Ltd, Broughton Grange, Headlands, Kettering
Northamptonshire NN15 6XA

Registered in England: 3022961.

Registered Office:
6 North Street, Oundle, Peterborough PE8 4AL