Re: [HACKERS] datetime default 'now' broken?

From: "Thomas G(dot) Lockhart" <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Brett McCormickS <brett(at)abraxas(dot)scene(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] datetime default 'now' broken?
Date: 1998-03-16 05:59:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> If I create a table with a datetime field with a default of 'now',
> every insert the value is the time of table creation instead of the
> time of insert, which is how it behaved in previous releases (I think
> this was even documented).

I can't recall it ever working that way, though before we discovered
that it didn't we all assumed that it _did_ work that way :)

The workaround is to define it as

... default datetime('now'::text)

which forces the string to be evaluated at runtime. The SQL symbol
CURRENT_TIMESTAMP also misbehaves in "default" clauses, and I'm
considering changing it a bit to get around the problem.

- Tom