Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements 1226

From: "Alex Hunsaker" <badalex(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "ITAGAKI Takahiro" <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib/pg_stat_statements 1226
Date: 2008-12-29 22:46:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 23:04, ITAGAKI Takahiro
<itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> wrote:
> Here is an updated version of contrib/pg_stat_statements patch.

Im going to do some more testing, give the typedef Chunk stuff another
look (you did fix the race/not protected by a spinlock you found
earlier right?) . And if all looks good mark it as ready for
commiter. (Assuming I find time tonight :))

I think the other questions a -commiter needs to respond to, namely:
- explain_analyze_format guc, do we want it?

- queryDesc->sourceText changes
(look good to me though, and I don't see any other obvious way to do it)

- rtime/utime to explain analyze printout

- moves statistic counters (ReadBufferCount etc...) into struct
Instrumentation via a new struct BufferCounter
(looks like a good cleanup regardless...)

> Should I also rename variables used in auto_explain module?
> It uses 'explain.*' now.

Well in the school of second thought you *do* have to manually define
them in custom_variable_classes, so maybe its fine. Personally though
I would like them to be auto_explain.*... it seems harder to mistake
them later as having something to do EXPLAIN.