OID assistance

From: "Spiegelberg, Greg" <gspiegelberg(at)cranel(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: OID assistance
Date: 2005-02-18 14:29:52
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello,

It's come to our attention that in 14-16 days our OID's will wrap around and
we need some advice. We're running 7.3.5 in our current production and plan
to eventually move to 7.4.6 which we have in testing. Production consists
of one database cluster with 26 databases. All tables are created with the
default, ie. WITH OIDS. We have many tables that have an OID type column
which is used for storing files. We intent to migrate away from that but
that too is in testing only.

We have thought about doing a dump and restoring to a new database cluster
but at the current rate we'll be in the same boat in roughly 120 days. We
have also thought of doing a dump and to 7.4.6 and performing an "ALTER
TABLE SET WITHOUT OIDS" on every table.

Anything else we can do? Have I read too much into the OID wrap-around
problem?

Greg

--
Greg Spiegelberg