Re: Best way to create a sequence generator at run time?

From: Leon Starr <leon_starr(at)modelint(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Best way to create a sequence generator at run time?
Date: 2010-09-22 20:19:57
Lists: pgsql-novice

I'm converging on a good solution, but have just one (hopefully) problem left.
I need to get the nextval for a sequence whose name has been stored, and is thus
not available prior to runtime. I am trying to use EXECUTE, but can't seem to get
it right. Suggestions?

Here's the function extract in question:

create or replace function ...
) returns bigint as
$$
declare
self subsystem%rowtype; -- has an attribute where the sequence name is stored
begin
select * from subsystem into strict self where (name = p_subsystem and domain = p_domain);

-- self.cnum_generator is a text value holding the name of the previously created sequence
-- I've tested to ensure that it is holding the correct value, so no worries there, it is a valid sequence

-- Now here is the trouble - none of these statements seem to work or parse correctly:

return execute 'nextval(' || self.cnum_generator || ')'; -- NOPE

new_num := nextval(self.cnum_generator); -- I didn't expect this one to work, but might as well try, NOPE

return query execute 'nextval( $1 )' using self.cnum_generator; -- no good either

return query execute 'nextval(' || self.cnum_generator || ')'; -- NOPE

-- accck! Phhht! Help!