Re: [SQL] OFFSET impact on Performance???

From: Alex Turner <armtuk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrei Bintintan <klodoma(at)ar-sd(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [SQL] OFFSET impact on Performance???
Date: 2005-01-26 13:47:32
Lists: pgsql-performance pgsql-sql

As I read the docs, a temp table doesn't solve our problem, as it does
not persist between sessions. With a web page there is no guarentee
that you will receive the same connection between requests, so a temp
table doesn't solve the problem. It looks like you either have to
create a real table (which is undesirable becuase it has to be
physicaly synced, and TTFB will be very poor) or create an application
tier in between the web tier and the database tier to allow data to
persist between requests tied to a unique session id.

Looks like the solutions to this problem is not RDBMS IMHO.

Alex Turner
NetEconomist