Re: hardware raid suggestions

From: "Fred Moyer" <fred(at)redhotpenguin(dot)com>
To: "Brian Hirt" <bhirt(at)mobygames(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: hardware raid suggestions
Date: 2004-07-17 03:20:40
Lists: pgsql-performance

> We're looking into getting an Adaptec 2200S or the Megaraid 320 2x
> which have better processors, and hopefully better performance. We
> feel that the use of the AIC7930 as the CPU on the ZCR just doesn't
> cut it and a faster raid controller would work better. Does anyone out
> there have any experience with these cards with postgresql and linux?
> If so, would you be willing to share your experiences and possibly give
> a recommendation?

I have worked with at least four major name brands of scsi and ide raid
controllers and so far the one I have found to be generally the most
featured and fastest is the ICP Vortex controllers
(http://www.icp-vortex.com/). It is also more expensive than the others
but has been worth the cost IMHO. It has a command line utility to
measure disk performance and I believe the source code for it is
available. I have measured over 200 MB/s reads off these controllers on
3u disk array units. I'm sure I could have gotten more with additional
tuning.

Fred