Re: [HACKERS] MAIN, Uncompressed?

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] MAIN, Uncompressed?
Date: 2017-11-14 17:00:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09/12/2017 12:11 PM, Simon Riggs wrote:

>> OK, so table-level option for "toast_tuple_target", not attribute-level option
>>
>> The attached patch and test shows this concept is useful and doesn't
>> affect existing data.
>>
>> For 4x 4000 byte rows:
>> * by default we use 1 heap block and 3 toast blocks
>> * toast_tuple_target=4080 uses 2 heap blocks and 0 toast blocks
>
> New patch, v2, since one line in the docs failed to apply because of
> recent changes.

This has bitrotted ever so slightly. I fixed that and took the
opportunity to edit the docs text slightly to improve the clarity a bit.
Revised patch attached - adjust to your taste.

The code is extremely simple and small and straightforward, and the
tests are good.

Marking as Ready for Committer,

cheers

andrew

--
Andrew Dunstan https://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Attachment Content-Type Size
toast_tuple_target.v3.patch text/x-patch 8.7 KB