Re: BEST odbc driver for windows MS Access

From: Richard Broersma Jr <rabroersma(at)yahoo(dot)com>
To: kkc(at)hydrosphere(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BEST odbc driver for windows MS Access
Date: 2006-12-11 03:00:06
Lists: pgsql-odbc

> And if
> not, will I have to go thru MSQuery to get to pgsql via ODBC? I hope not...

I am not to sure how to answer your question. The functionality does MSQquery give you that you
get some other way with OLEDB.

> And if anyone has thoughts or
> experience on OLEDB vs. ODBC for connecting to pgsql from Microsoft
> software, I'd love to hear of them!

My opionion of OLEDB for postgresql is that it is broken and certainly not more stable in this
case. Even worse, there doesn't seem to be much support for the oledb project as compared with
the odbc projects. If you find that a bug keeps you from completing your project, there aren't
very many places to turn.

from the following link:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/2006-10/msg00009.php

you see that an old version of ODBC was able to handle a load of 600 transactions requests per
second. The Command Prompt odbc-ng appears to almost double this throughput, however it breaks
when I try to use it. This should be expected since this driver is still released as being under
the "public test mode".

If you are enterested in using the odbc-ng driver you could use the following mailing list for
help: