Re: [HACKERS] NULL as an argument in plpgsql functions (fwd)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] NULL as an argument in plpgsql functions (fwd)
Date: 1999-09-29 13:55:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> writes:
> Is this a bug or feature ?

It's a bug. Fixing it will require a wholesale code revision, however
(see my prior postings about redesigning the function call interface).

This is something we need to do for 6.6, IMHO, not only because of
the NULL-argument issue but also because it will solve the portability
problems that are being created by the existing fmgr interface (Alpha
bugs, need to dumb down to -O0 on some platforms, etc). I've been
trying to summon the will to get started on it, but other things keep
getting in the way...

> Also, it seems there is a limitation to a number of arguments.

Yes, 8. I'm not planning to do anything about that in the near term.
Even just making the limit configurable would be a lot of work :-(