Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: PQcancel does not use tcp_user_timeout, connect_timeout and keepalive settings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jelte Fennema <Jelte(dot)Fennema(at)microsoft(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>, Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Re: PQcancel does not use tcp_user_timeout, connect_timeout and keepalive settings
Date: 2022-01-18 18:32:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jelte Fennema <Jelte(dot)Fennema(at)microsoft(dot)com> writes:
> It seems the man page of TCP_USER_TIMEOUT does not align with
> reality then. When I use it on my local machine it is effectively used
> as a connection timeout too.

Huh, I should have thought to try that. I confirm this behavior
on RHEL8 (kernel 4.18.0). Not the first mistake I've seen in
Linux man pages :-(.

Doesn't seem to help on macOS, but AFAICT that platform doesn't
have TCP_USER_TIMEOUT, so no surprise there.

Anyway, that removes my objection, so I'll proceed with committing.
Thanks for working on this patch!