Re: Licensing

From: Mitch Pirtle <mitch(dot)pirtle(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Licensing
Date: 2005-03-21 16:15:30
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:12:12 -0500, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org> wrote:

> If you use someone else's code, you have to follow their license (at
> least if you care about following the law!);
> that's true regardless of whether the software is "free" or
> "proprietary" or "open source" or whatever.

My angle is just the opposite, what if I want to release code under an
open source license, but allow commercial entities the freedom to
provide add-ons under whatever license they choose?

I cannot use the GPL in that case, as it is too restrictive - and as
you point out, too murky for anyone to consider taking the chance as
it hasn't been tested in court AFAIK.

This is the problem of anyone that creates a program and gives it
away. You have to know in advance who you want to accommodate, as the
GPL appears to completely restrict them, whereas other licenses may
make it possible to provide additional features as products under
non-free licenses.

Sorry to be misleading, this is actually the quandary that I am trying
to solve at the moment.

-- Mitch