Fatal: Database does not exist

From: "Suvanaket, Dear (MS)" <Dear(dot)Suvanaket(at)ngc(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Fatal: Database does not exist
Date: 2009-02-27 21:41:03
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I get the error "FATAL: Database "xxx" does not exist" when trying to connect to the database using JDBC. The superuser "postgres" owns my database and tables. However, it seems I can only connect to the database when the username matches the name of the database I am connecting to. I can't connect to the database as the superuser postgres who owns the database. For example, if my database were named "Trudy", I can only connect with a user named "Trudy".

The Java code I'm using to connect looks something like this:

try{
//Register the JDBC driver for PostgreSQL.
Class.forName(driverType);

//Get a connection to the database
Connection conn = DriverManager.getConnection(url, username, password);
PreparedStatement ps =
conn.prepareStatement(jsassql);
ps.execute();
conn.close();
}
catch(Exception e){
e.printStackTrace();
}

Is there anyway to fix the access so I can use a superuser other than the one named after the database?