Re: minimal update

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Kenneth Marshall <ktm(at)rice(dot)edu>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)seespotcode(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: minimal update
Date: 2008-10-30 02:44:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> Not sure that's appropriate, but I can't see anything else that is
>> very appropriate either.

> The plpgsql code uses errcode(ERRCODE_FEATURE_NOT_SUPPORTED) for this
> situation, so I guess we should be consistent with that.

TRIGGERED_DATA_CHANGE_VIOLATION is most certainly NOT an appropriate
code here --- it's talking about invalid database content states.

The RI triggers use ERRCODE_E_R_I_E_TRIGGER_PROTOCOL_VIOLATED for these
sorts of conditions, and I think that's probably best practice. See
ri_CheckTrigger() in particular.