Re: Another reason why the recovery tests take a long time

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Another reason why the recovery tests take a long time
Date: 2017-06-26 18:06:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
> So this looks like a pretty obvious race condition in the postmaster,
> which should be resolved by having it set a flag on receipt of
> PMSIGNAL_START_WALRECEIVER that's cleared only when it does start a
> new walreceiver.

Concretely, I propose the attached patch.  Together with reducing
wal_retrieve_retry_interval to 500ms, which I propose having
PostgresNode::init do in its standard postgresql.conf adjustments,
this takes the runtime of the recovery TAP tests down from 2m50s
(after the patches I posted yesterday) to 1m30s.

I think there's still gold to be mined, because "top" is still
showing pretty low CPU load over most of the run, but this is
lots better than 4m30s.