Re: speeding up planning with partitions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: David Rowley <david(dot)rowley(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Imai, Yoshikazu" <imai(dot)yoshikazu(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: speeding up planning with partitions
Date: 2019-02-19 20:57:53
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> OK, I'll make another pass over 0001 today.

So I started the day with high hopes for this, but the more I looked at
it the less happy I got, and finally I ran into something that looks to
be a complete show-stopper. Namely, that the patch does not account
for the possibility of an inherited target rel being the outside for a
parameterized path to some other rel. Like this example in the
regression database:

explain update a set aa = aa + 1
from tenk1 t where a.aa = t.unique2;

With HEAD, you get a perfectly nice plan that consists of an append
of per-child plans like this:

-> Nested Loop (cost=0.29..8.31 rows=1 width=16)
-> Seq Scan on a (cost=0.00..0.00 rows=1 width=10)
-> Index Scan using tenk1_unique2 on tenk1 t (cost=0.29..8.30 rows=1
width=10)
Index Cond: (unique2 = a.aa)

With the 0001 patch, this gets an Assert during set_base_rel_pathlists,
because indxpath.c tries to make a parameterized path for tenk1
with "a" as the outer rel. Since tenk1's joinlist hasn't been
touched, it's still referencing the inheritance parent, and the
code notices that we haven't made a rowcount estimate for that.
Even if we had, we'd generate a Path referencing Vars of the parent
rel, which would not work.

Conceivably, such a Path could be fixed up later (say by applying
adjust_appendrel_attrs to it during createplan.c), but that is not
going to fix the fundamental problem: the cost estimate for such a
Path should vary depending on how large we think the outer rel is,
and we don't have a reasonable way to set that if we're trying to
make a one-size-fits-all Path for something that's being joined to
an inheritance tree with a widely varying set of relation sizes.

So I do not see any way to make this approach work without a
significant(?) sacrifice in the quality of plans.

I've got other issues with the patch too, but it's probably not
worth getting into them unless we can answer this objection.